Boondi Raita is the yumminess of raita with little chewy bits to break up the texture.
Boondi raita is a perfect way to break up the routine of plain raita. It takes absolutely no time to make and somehow is always considered to be fancy. It’s perfect for a normal mid week dinner
The boondi doesn’t have much of a flavor so make sure to add enough salt, pepper, and chili powder so that you don’t end up with bland yogurt. Personally, I’m a heathen because I like to put my boondi in without soaking it and eating it crunchy. If you’re feeling a little crazy, give it a whirl. I promise it isn’t gross.
Boondi RaitaDifficulty: Easy
4 cups plain yogurt (avoid fat free or low fat)
1.5 cup cold water
1/2 cup boondi
1 tbsp whole jeera (cumin), ground
2 tsp chili powder (optional)
1/3 bunch dhaniya (cilantro), chopped finely
Black pepper, to taste
Salt, to taste
- Soak boondi for 10 minutes (or until soft and spongy) in room temperature water.
- When the boondi is spongy drain the water out and let the boondi sit in a colander in the sink.
- Whisk yogurt till smooth.
- Whisk in water. If you’d like the consistency to be a little thinner add additional water.
- Gently squeeze out remaining water from the boondi.
- Whisk in cilantro, boondi, pepper, and salt.
- Garnish with cumin and chili powder.